Search This Blog

Saturday 18 September 2010

SAATCHI GALLERY



The SAATCHI GALLERY sits among the dainty shops and cafes of the fashionable King’s Road. Inside the gates the atmosphere is calm, quiet and airy and there is a sense of understated luxury that emanates from the large clean white rooms. My visit felt a bit like a detox after the busy, hyper streets of Chelsea.


It is always encouraging when you go to a gallery and find art students sprawled across the floors joining in the creativity; it shows an active response to the work. It also reminds me fondly of being a keen art student myself. The Saatchi gallery staff ooze coolness, I was envious of their hip t-shirts which I later found out were available in the gallery shop, another item for the wish list.


The Saatchi aims to be a platform for innovative art and a springboard for young unknown artists to launch their careers. The current exhibition: NEWSPEAK BRITISH ART NOW, is split into two parts, the first is on now. I loved all the work and found that it came together as an exciting eclectic mix. Steven Claydon’s sculpture stood out – a quirky head with a peacock feather as an eye patch. I visited the gallery in my one hour lunch break and found I didn’t have nearly enough time. With the free admission it’s nice to know I can go back at anytime. As I left small neatly-uniformed school children were running and laughing on the grass surrounding the gallery building. All in all an idyllic London lunchtime.


The Saatchi Gallery is open every day, 10-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment