Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 December 2010

the world the way i want it - Pop-up shop





‘The world the way I want it’ was a magical pop-up shop on Redchurch Street near Brick Lane. Open for just a month, there wasn’t long to catch a glimpse of this little gem, but I luckily managed to find a spare half hour to visit last weekend, and I am so glad I did.

Keggie Carew certainly created her own world in this little shop. Every inch of the space was decorated with her artwork, findings and other mysterious bits and bobs. I could have spent hours in there exploring everything.

She has an obvious interest in the great outdoors, I particularly loved the ‘pink shoes with Dorset hills and sheep and bird gazers in the trees’. Appropriate to the theme, half the profit is going to ‘Kiva’ for micro-loans to sustainable farm projects.There were plenty of unconventional gifts for sale too: poetry rubber stamps, bug pots (I bought one for my dad), ‘true story’ t-shirts. The insect necklaces seemed to be a good seller, as you can see from the images, they come in different bug varieties, and are eerily beautiful. Carew assured me, these necklaces are wearable, but with care. I think they are the perfect Tim Burton-style present for the lady that has everything.

These temporary pop-up shops are becoming more and more popular, and seem to be cropping up all over the place. After visiting ‘The world the way I want it’ I bumped into another pop-up store, where two creatives from Madrid were showing their work, jeweller Karen Hallam and artist Fernando Herlop. These quirky little shops are worth looking out for, they are brilliant for picking up one-off items and often at much lower prices than you would expect.

Visit shop website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment