Search This Blog

Saturday 18 December 2010

Godolphin Carol Service


A few nights ago I returned to my old secondary school to see my little sister’s carol concert. Being so busy, I missed her previous showcases and was pleased to be going back for this annual traditional service. Godolphin has quite recently acquired the neighbouring church and can now hold all its concerts in the fully equipped, wonderfully restored space.

I look forward to this carol service every year as the one real chance I have to belt out the classic carols. Annoyingly I seem to get ill just as the concert approaches each year, making the descants frustratingly challenging to sing. This year I opted for some harmonious alto parts instead, to complement the dulcet tones of the school choir. My parents standing nearby were wholly unimpressed.

The evening comprises readings, choir performances, carols sung by ‘all’ and a few inspiring words from Religious Studies teacher Dr.Wolfe, who I remember fondly from my schooldays. Familiar carols such as ‘Once in Royal David’s City’ and ‘Hark! The Herald Angels Sing’ rocked the church and it was encouraging to look around and see so many people singing along. My favourite songs were ‘Veni, veni Emmanuel’ and ‘On this day earth shall ring’ with which the choir processed and recessed with just candles to light their way through the darkness; it was beautiful.

I left the church with lifted spirits, feeling the excitement of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment