Search This Blog

Monday 23 January 2012

Hot on the Highstreet Week 87






“Celebrate the beauty of words, the joy of writing and the art of conversation.”

Selfridges are currently honouring wonderful words, with writers-in-residence, a special collection of letter-inspired jewellery, captivating storytellers and literary themed objects and gifts.

I absolutely love clothing or accessories which use words… my ‘Milly’ version of the famous Carrie necklace is a treasured piece in my jewellery box, as are my old limited edition Luella t-shirts with slogans like ‘Daddy I want a pony!’ On my 18th birthday I received a beautifully simple engraved silver ring from my parents quoting ‘Je vois la vie en rose’ (which loosely translates as the familiar saying ‘I see the world through rose tinted spectacles’). And inside there is a personal message, words that remind me of that important birthday.

I think Selfridges are onto a winner with the words idea. Teaming up with Tatty Devine, they have created an in-store workshop where shoppers can go along and design and customise their very own, entirely unique piece of jewellery. They’ve got everything at hand to decorate your necklace with different chains and charms in store. All the rainbow sheets of plastic are available and someone is on hand to laser cut your piece to perfection. All the jewellery findings are stored in jars attached to shelves by their lids (one twist and you can pick out just what you need). I went along and designed a Thoroughly Modern Milly necklace.

If you’d rather have a ready made piece this fabulous jewellery brand have also created an exclusive range of funky necklaces, with plastic words like ‘OMG’ and ‘Bookworm’ on them.

The Words Words Words programme continues until 1 March: visit the Selfridges website here for more information on all the literary workshops, talks and events.

No comments:

Post a Comment