Search This Blog

Thursday 31 March 2011

Beady Eye at The Royal Albert Hall


The Royal Albert Hall was filled for the night with uncanny Liam Gallagher look-a-likes, or at least they all had the same characteristic floppy hairstyle, classic green parkas, and epic sideburns... Hilarious really, you'd think these men would have grown out of imitating their idols. After the feud of brothers Liam and Noel left hit band Oasis no more, both have been employing their musical talents elsewhere; for Liam this has led to the birth of Beady Eye. In 2009, along with two other core Oasis members, this new incarnation began writing and recording.

This month, in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust, Beady Eye performed in London. I went along with my brother, who is a devoted fan of the band. We managed to park blissfully close to the hall, and for free. Taking our seats in the front row of the stalls, we had such a brilliant view of the stage, it didn't even matter that I'd forgotten my glasses. Miles Kane came on at 8ish as the eager supporting act. By the way, he too sports the Liam haircut, framing his sweet babyface. His band have just completed their first album together, 'Colour of the Trap,' and gave us an energetic and very loud taster. They have a good vibe, and despite the songs being quite samey, there were some toe-tapping melodies. Miles certainly put his all into the performance, singing joyfully and speaking with a modest charm.

Beady Eye eventually came on, after lots, and lots of tedious waiting around. The obsessed fans went mad as their idol, Liam walked onto the stage, I wondered if the hordes had come for the music, or just to see the man behind it. Not letting us forget for a second about his battle with his elder brother, Liam screamed “This aint no fookin’ Noel Gallagher gig”. I found out later that Noel had played at this very gig a year ago, and after hearing his brother’s name chanted beforehand Liam was keen to put things straight. Beady Eye seemed excited to be performing for us and played a full set from their recent album. I enjoyed the music more than I thought I would, and will admit this Gallagher boy has a certain magnetism. The relationship between crowd and performer was ecstatic and made the evening exciting. ‘The Roller’, Beady Eye’s first official single was a jubilant favourite, and the audience sang along as if it was a familiar anthem. Liam was on good form, reaching the top notes with impressive ease and even responding to a flying lime wedge in his face with mature grace.

It is staggering how multi-purpose this great hall is, to sit enjoying such a wild concert when my previous visit had been for the smart circus extravaganza Cirque du Soleil is amazing. It is perhaps the most versatile venue in the capital. I enjoyed getting to know the music of Beady Eye, though could have done without the beer being flung about the stadium, I left with my newly washed hair all sticky and wet.

4 comments:

  1. You're lucky, that you could be there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for your comment and for following my blog! I was just going threw you blog, it´s really sweet and I like the layout very much!
    Can´t wait to read more posts!
    Greets from Edinburgh!^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow awesome! You're really lucky!I like Beady Eye,but I prefer the old Oasis. I love Noel's voice and I hope in his come back really soon.
    Your blog is really lovely. ^_^

    ReplyDelete